Thursday, March 22, 2007

JAY WRIGHT LETTER



Note to Readers:
Pictured here is Jay Wright, author of 'G A S.' (left) Holding Jay's rare 1988
G & L ASAT 'Blues Boy Special Edition' guitar is George Fullerton, legendary business partner of Leo Fender.

Jay sent the following letter to John Karlovec, my editor at the newspaper. I can only term his message as - incredible!


Thanks, Jay!!


To:
editor@geaugamapleleaf.com
Subject: Recent Article

I recently read and thoroughly enjoyed Rod Ice's piece on Living With G.A.S. (March 7). Rod TOTALLY understands the wonderful affliction that we both share. It is also shared by millions around the world. As I read his piece, it was like reading something I had written - I could finish each sentence, like the words to a song you've heard all your life!

Rod is a candidate for further study and research, because his condition is definitely in the more advanced stages. The term, Guitar Acquisition Syndrome was coined back in the mid-nineties by a member of the group, Steeley Dan. It has since been jokingly used in a few guitar magazine articles, on guitar enthusiast websites, and in music stores; but my book is the first attempt to research and document this increasingly common human disorder. I fully expect more research, study, and books on the subject. It will be people like Rod and me that will be the guinea pigs for the most advanced studies, as we seem to represent the more extreme carriers of the guitar envy gene (GEG). We tend to experience abnormally strong physiological and psychological reactions to guitar deprivation. Yes, we are BOTH candidates for further study.

I consider Rod's article to be his "Coming Out" announcement. By declaring his illness publicly like that, he will no longer feel the guilt of late night surfing of online music stores and eBay, tearing pages from guitar magazines for future reference, corresponding with a universal support group of other afflicted souls in cyberspace, or of fondling half the guitars that get within his reach. It's such a freeing experience. I salute him for his courage and rejoice in the comfort he will now feel. We don't want to be cured, just understood.

I commend Rod for an excellent piece that I have shared with my family and world-wide support group. He is a gifted writer and your readers are very fortunate to have access to his work. I hope to meet him in person one day. hmmmmm, perhaps this is the year to make that trip to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.....

Jay Wrighthttp://www.jaystrings.com/


Just say "NO" to fewer guitars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home