Friday, May 11, 2007

"Done With Donald Trump"








c. 2007 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(5-07)

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."
- From the Christian Bible, Matthew 6:19-20 (NIV)

Twenty-three years ago, I was an hourly laborer. Though writing represented my chosen profession, the need for financial support meant that I always worked at some mainstream occupation. It presented a dichotomy that never went away. Which was the ‘real’ self – he who spun words for entertainment? Or the humbled soul that bowed in quiet servitude? Many might have passed over such a question without great effort. But I pondered the divide constantly. How would it be possible to join the two ‘halves’ of myself?

The riddle kept me wandering. Successive employers found work for my hands, yet left my spirit in the dark. I penned songs and wrote stories that satisfied creative urges, without attracting a monetary reward. In the end, my split personality continued. Why couldn’t both worlds co-exist?

Eventually, friends offered advice that was breezy, but logical. They pointed out the need to brighten my attitude while taking on extra workplace projects. I was capable of more. Why not demonstrate that truism, visibly? The proposition seemed founded on good sense. A healthy dose of ‘volunteerism’ might create new opportunities! My devotion would become obvious. It was a moment of great decision. I made a conscious choice to alter my life philosophy after careful evaluation.

From that moment in 1997, ambition became my focus. I lobbied openly for a job in white-collar supervision. I reckoned it would be a route to genuine corporate success, and more complete use of my skills. In particular, the responsibility of developing and implementing training programs held an undeniable attraction. As a freelance writer, I was able to describe methods for improvement with plain prose. Business ideas started to flow freely. I identified strategies, and suggested how they could be utilized. Meanwhile, a few ‘rules of conduct’ developed that applied universally to any operation:

1. BUILD LINES OF COMMUNICATION – People who are able to converse openly are much less likely to engage in physical aggression. Groups that communicate are much less likely to reach the point of wasteful disagreement. If Time equals money, conflict robs us of time.

2. UNDERSTAND ‘VALUE’ – Everything has worth. Facilities, tools, and materials… yes. But primarily, PEOPLE. Teamwork and cooperation. Feelings of self-worth and achievement for associates. Don’t overlook merit in every piece of the puzzle!

3. FOLLOW-UP / FOLLOW THROUGH – Preparation is essential to accomplish any task. But the best game plan won’t survive poor execution. After the sale, service is even more important. Don’t throw away an opportunity to meet customer expectations beyond the sales floor.

Watching ‘The Apprentice’ on NBC became a favored pastime. I could literally ‘feel’ the emotion of candidates who sat in the boardroom. Their anxious moments resonated in my belly. I imagined verbally sparring with The Donald… fighting for career preservation as drama swelled the room. Growing confidence made me more authentically sure of myself with every day.
This positive mood liberated bolder thoughts. An expanded view of how business/customer interaction could take place soon resulted:

SELL THE DIFFERENCE!

A new-age option for market success has been to promote the business itself to potential customers. Companies like Saturn have elevated this methodology to near perfection. Not only are products and services offered to consumers, but a sense of membership is sold. The corporation is touted as a lifestyle partner for those who buy products.

Milwaukee’s most famous exporter speaks about this plan in their company literature: "Functionally, a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle is transportation. But mechanically, it is an object of raw beauty that can be customized to fit any rider. It's no coincidence that Harley riders are as passionate about their bike as the ride itself." Their marketing strategy has helped make the company an overwhelming success.

Most recently, Toyota’s SCION division has represented such an approach. The brand is a complete departure from traditional automotive manufacturing. Not only are the vehicles designed for youth appeal, but the entire company has been tailored to match this outlook. Scion’s website even includes an online chat room for questions and interaction.

Our company has deep roots in the business. Yet we are also a cutting-edge enterprise. These qualities position us above and beyond competitors. We have grown from real community involvement, and personal investment. A progression from family cooperation to modern business practices has occurred. This means the corporation is ‘rooted’ in the places we serve. Our public image should reflect that history, along with the desire to produce innovation and excellence.

I was proud of my document. It reflected a forward-thinking approach benchmarked against procedures used by industry leaders. A framework for success in the 21st Century marketplace. Or so I thought…

And then came the sunset.

Like thousands of other service-industry laborers in Northeastern Ohio, I became unemployed, last year. This shift back to full-time wordsmithing arrived as a shock. It overwhelmed everything else, scattering plans and making daily habits obsolete.
Instead of a promotion, I got the ‘pink slip!’

Rapidly, I edited my resume, and crafted a cover letter with pertinent details. In the scramble to find another paycheck, I scribbled notes about myself:

"Available for Hire - Mid-40’s former retail supervisor seeking new career paths. Plenty of experience in store operations, risk management, maintaining P&L discipline, customer service and employee relations. Well versed in promoting a business-community partnership. Able to motivate and direct people."

At first, I struggled to regain my membership in the capitalist continuum. But my initial reaction came from sheer separation anxiety. As months elapsed, the profundity of what transpired became more evident. Episodes of ‘The Apprentice’ passed by, unwatched. I did not simply ‘lose my job.’ Circumstance had forced a life reassessment. Again!

Trump no longer exuded the appeal of a heroic figure. Instead, I saw him clearly, without the tint of personal expectation. He had been reduced to common humanity, like regular folk. I chortled over his appearance. It was that of a cartoon figure, locked into self-parody. Poorly coiffed, and opportunistic. With narrow eyes, and a bent for garish neckties.

I realized that personal wealth had come in a new way. The yield was something far superior to coinage from commerce. I felt rich in having a wife and children to share my earthly journey. Because of our colorful extended family, I would never be poor in spirit. They were with me, always.

Faith and family had brought a victory that The Donald could never bestow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home