Thursday, August 07, 2008

“Viking Encounter”


c. 2008 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(7-08)





It was a busy day in the Icehouse home office.

Much of my morning had been consumed by Internet research on an obscure group of Rickenbacker guitars. They were called the 200 Series – including models named ‘El Dorado’ and ‘Hamburg.’ I knew of the manufacturer’s famed connection with performing artists like John Lennon, Tom Petty, and Roger McGuinn. But this little-known derivative of the company product line was something I’d never seen before… until an example nearly dropped into my lap, thanks to a pawnshop in Denver.

My new acquisition was sleek, black, and toneful. Just not at all like any of their stylish, better-known models. Still, it was satisfying to play. Briefly, I pondered recording new videos for YouTube with the instrument. Yet as the afternoon arrived, such thoughts were turned aside by a flurry of e-mail messages in my inbox.

It was time to go back to work!

News posts kept my attention, while drinking coffee. But then, I paused on a note from Cal Williams, owner of the Zeppe’s Pizza location in Chardon with his wife, Stephanie. Both were avid supporters of Tim’s House, a local organization where I was a volunteer. He offered an invitation that sounded particularly interesting. It involved a new semi-pro football team, playing home games at Chardon High School:

“Hey Rod - The (Northcoast) Vikings are planning an event (at) Zeppe’s… in our parking lot... It’s designed to promote the ‘Big Brothers Big Sister Charity Game’ on August 31 at Chardon High School. There’s going to be a tent with ‘Meet the Viking Girls’ and Viking players. We’re going to give away a Pizza Party with wings & pop to help promote (the event). We’re… hoping to increase the amount of contribution going to the Big Brothers Big sisters charity… I mean, think about this, a Chardon Semi-pro football team has brought together Chardon businesses to support an organization that helps Chardon and local latchkey kids. How cool is that for the Maple Leaf Community?”

Like many Geauga County residents, I first learned about the Northcoast Vikings from a schedule that was passed out at the Maple Festival in Chardon. The notion of a summer football league was compelling. But the idea of working with them in a charity event seemed completely irresistible. So I offered a donation of my three published books for their Chinese Auction.

Soon afterward, Cal responded with a good-natured reply:

“Rod, we will have tables set-up (with the donated prizes). Zeppe’s will display a Sheet pizza box, (a) wing party pack and three cokes. I thought we could put your books on the table as a display. It would be nice to have a signboard with all the info you’d like the public to see.”

Excitement made me tingle. This was the sort of community cooperation that seemed to define living in Geauga. I decided to attend the happening on my motorcycle, for enhanced photo opportunities. My wife, Liz, would follow in her car, with our daughters. I reckoned on covering the benefit with a full-size newspaper feature.

Football, pizza, and benevolence… what more could an American heart desire?

When I arrived at the benefit, Chardon City Councilperson Mary Bramstedt was already working the crowd. Her festive hat and broad smile were easy to recognize.

I revved the motor on my Harley. “Marrrry!” I shouted. “How are you?”

Immediately, I was upstaged by Soccer Fairy, our ten-year-old. She squealed with delight as the family sedan pulled into a parking space across the street. “Mom! They’ve got pizza waiting for us! Pizzzzzza!!”

Liz attempted to interject some discipline into the moment. But her effort failed completely. The Fairy could not be corralled. Cheese and pepperoni had overwhelmed her senses.

“Pizza, pizza, pizza!” the girl shouted.

I leaned the motorcycle on its kickstand. “Well, at least we know she’ll have a good time here…”

My wife agreed. “Leigh and I will be happy to enjoy the shade. Why don’t you get some pictures?”

I unpacked my digital camera. The Vikings players and cheerleaders were warming up at the edge of Cherry Street. Passing motorists had begun to honk their horns. I snapped photos while discussing the games ahead.

“This is fantastic,” Liz observed. “And the food is delicious!”

“Zeppe’s donates a meal to Tim’s House, every Thursday,” I said. “Their generosity has been unbelievable.”

Soccer Fairy twisted her blonde curls as the Viking ladies performed their routines. Each member of the group was a glistening vision, in red and black. “They’re so cool,” she said. “I wish they’d let me join their dance team!”

My wife nearly spilled her soda. “Yikes! You’re only ten, girly girl!”

I smiled. “Perhaps in a few years…but for now… why not ask if you can pose for a picture with them?”

Liz nodded. “That’s better! Pose for a photograph!”

The Fairy reddened with embarrassment. “Oh! I couldn’t…”

“Why not?” her mother said quizzically.

My bravado couldn’t be hidden. “I always say it’s impossible to take a bad picture of you…”

More giggles and commotion echoed across the street. Songs by AC/DC provided extra motivation, from a boom box by the front windows. Fists pumped into the air. Garlic and tomato sauce wafted across the parking lot.

Then, our girl made her move.

“Umm, excuse me,” she said, bravely. “Could I join you guys for a photo?”

The group stopped in the middle of their dance.

“Hey… aren’t you the girl from Thoughts At Large?” they exclaimed.

The Fairy was stunned, and gasped for her breath. She hadn’t expected to be recognized as a local newspaper celebrity. “Uhhh, yes, that’s me…”

“The best goalie in Lake, Ashtabula, and Geauga County?” they implored.

She coughed out loud. “Uhhh, well, that’s what my coach says…”

“Come here!” they shouted. “Let’s get a shot of us together! C’mon everybody! Huddle closer!!”

The ladies began to chant, and high-step down the sidewalk. Their improvised cheer fit the moment, perfectly:

“North, south, east and west - Soccer Fairy is the best! Go Fairrrrry!!!!!”

I jumped into position. My camera clicked off images, in rapid succession. The glimmering ladies posed skillfully as our youngster twitched with glee. Traffic continued to flow past the pizzeria with cheerful abandon. Melodic crashes of Angus Young’s guitar electrified the evening. It was like a street carnival, with hometown players.

Too soon, the sun began to sink toward oblivion. But the day ended with a sense of supreme satisfaction. The first annual team day at Zeppe’s had been a success.

Now, it was time to tell the story.

After dark, I returned to our home office. My second-hand guitar waited patiently, in a corner of the bedroom. Despite the thrill of acquisition, I still hadn’t plugged the axe into an amplifier. But that didn’t matter. There were other projects to complete… such as the tale of our Viking encounter in Chardon!

Comments about Thoughts At Large may be sent to: icewritesforyou@gmail.com
Visit us at: www.thoughtsatlarge.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home