Monday, December 04, 2006

PRESTO PIZZA




Woww... what a discovery.

Yep, I'm a fan of Pop Tarts. A sense of awe has always surrounded this Kellogg product, for my generation. We came of age as these tasty pastries were entering our cultural folklore. Admittedly, I eat them 'raw' as an adult. (This is what my stepson used to call untoasted tarts.) But they satisfy my craving for sweet snacking, as ever.

The idea of a pizza spin on the Pop Tart template seems almost logical. Yet I don't remember the Presto Pizza Pastries. The box shown here is dated 1971, so such a boom-era food item should be familiar... but it isn't. A quick poll of my immediate famiy yielded the same. Apparently, this bit of grocer's history has been lost to the winds of time.

Pop Tarts are such a non-PC consumable. (OMG - prepared in a hotttt toaster that could burn little fingers!) And their current 'Crazy Good' ad campaign doesn't help the brand image. (Geez, they show a cartoon image of some poor kid in a straight-jacket!) But re-introducing this idea wouldn't be an impossibility. Perhaps with a bit more international flavor, they could sell in the modern marketplace? Call 'em "Pepi's Pizza Planks" and add a side cup of extra Marinara sauce, good for the microwave. Go with Sausage, Pepperoni, or Cheese varieties.

It could be a hit! But I'd still probably eat them raw...

(Have a look around at http://theimaginaryworld.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home