Saturday, October 07, 2006

Dad's Silvertone 7 Transistor Radio (Almost)


PURCHASED FROM eBay - a 1960's SILVERTONE 7 Transistor AM Radio, with leather carrying case...

For this writer, it all began here - with a radio very much like the one pictured here. As a child, I frequently borrowed Dad's pocket-sized receiver to conduct late-night listening experiments. Years later, the image of that device was still clear in my memory! When the relic above appeared for auction, I was intrigued. It is VERY close to the radio I remember, almost an exact match. (The 'Sears' logo in its upper-left corner is different, and the dial numbers are smaller - perhaps because this is a slightly newer model?)

Someone with an iPod might burst out in laughter when considering this primitive artifact. But in my own life, the little black box played an important role. It was my vortex for understanding and intellectual development!

Thanks so much, Dad. I love you. Your Sears & Roebuck special helped me listen in on the world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home