Monday, November 27, 2006

"Wedding Diary: Chapter Two"



c. 2006 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(11-06)



Planning for a wedding can be overwhelming, and tedious. Skilled negotiation and bargaining may be required to achieve the desired results. Some turn to professional advisors to accomplish this task. Others seek guidance from family members who have already experienced the joyous journey. But for Liz and myself, a different route carried us to big-day success. We drafted a festive schedule for the event over tasty brews… at STARBUCKS in Mentor.
The coffeehouse was our sanctuary as summer blossomed. We found many excuses to visit, and enjoy fresh java varieties while making decisions. "Meet after work, for a quick snack?" Love it! "Get a late cup after running errands?" Yes! "Take a ride for coffee in Mom’s convertible?" Yes, yes, yes! "Shop for branded novelty gifts?" Okay! "Dream over kitchen accessories for our new household?" Twist my arm, sweetie!!! I’m there!
Both of us had a knack for prolific conversation. So our banter was easily heard above the persistent buzz of customer chatter. When Liz observed that we ought to have the famous Seattle beverages at our wedding reception, an employee named Aimee responded with surprise. "Hey, I would do that. I’d be glad to serve coffee to your guests! It would be fun!!"
My bride-to-be squeaked gleefully, with surprise. "REALLY??"
I was stunned. The moment made me fumble for words. "Uhh…you would be making my fiancée very, very happy!"
Liz agreed. "Oh, how awesome!! Starbucks at our wedding!!"
"You guys could make a personal blend," Aimee suggested. "A mix of your favorite varieties. It would represent the marriage for your friends and families."
I nodded. "That’s a cool idea…"
"Great - the European Roast and Sumatra together!" my bride-to-be exclaimed. "But what about the cold drinks, like Frappucino?"
"Not a problem," Aimee said. "We could do those, too."
I pulled out a business card. The conversation was making me dizzy with disbelief. "This is incredible. Here, take our number…"
Liz cooed with pleasure as we left. "Starrrrrrbucks! Honey, can you believe it?"
Through this unplanned meeting, our wedding reception took on new meaning. It seemed sure to represent an authentic celebration of our joined lives! A coffee theme developed for the event. We added decorative cups and saucers, filled with treats, to each table. Tall mugs were purchased to hold silverware. The menu brimmed with flavorful kaffeeklatsch goodies. And finally, we purchased crystal Irish-coffee cups, engraved for bride and groom.
The wedding ceremony seemed like a far away dream. We were focused on becoming life partners after a four-year courtship. Yet immediate concerns ruled the day. I fretted over writing projects, and job interviews. Liz helped tend to family needs while advancing her career. Both of us were happy to enjoy weekend adventures away from home, and responsibilities. We escaped to Southern Ohio, and New York State during these uninhibited moments. Thoughts of our marriage were more sweet than substantial, like wisps of cotton candy.
But then… tomorrow became today! In a sizzling flash of time we had arrived at the altar in Thompson. Our shepherds were Pastor Harley Wheeler and my father, Rev. R. D. Ice. The ritual began around two o’clock in the afternoon. We had chosen a favorite Bible passage to set the tone for this sacred event. With bowed heads, the congregation listened reverently to familiar words from 1 Corinthians, Chapter 13:
"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing…"
Liz and I breathlessly repeated our vows. Then, we joined her daughters and shared a special promise of family unification. Afterward, the older child saluted our bond by waving her flower bouquet. It was an image that transfixed the crowd. Though unable to speak because of a neurological handicap, she had found a method to convey her blessing. Tears of joy appeared in response.
Once the vows had been said, my thoughts turned to refreshment! I was ready for a steaming cup of grounds. But our duties had not yet been fulfilled. Prayers were said to conclude the spiritual bonding. A regal recessional march led us away from the altar. We paused just outside the sanctuary, to receive guests on an individual basis. Then, the photographer appeared. We still needed to pose for official portraits!
Every picture combination was exhausted. The professionalism of our friendly ‘shutterbug’ seemed undeniable. Still, I became distracted by lingering thirst. "Okay, bride and groom together! Good! Now, bride by herself… then bride and mother… then groom and mother… then bride, groom, and both sets of parents…then parents with bride in the middle…then groom with both clergymen…then bride and groom with family pets, playing croquet… then groom on a unicycle, while bride juggles roses and everyone else does a tap dance…or how about the bride and groom bungee-jumping from the church steeple?" My imagination had gone out of control.
Our post-nuptial party took place in the church gymnasium. My political bent became evident as I offered handshakes and gratitude around the room. It felt good to be among our guests. Toy bells rang constantly. Music of Dean Martin and Nat ‘King’ Cole echoed from every corner. When it came time to cut the wedding cake, Liz had insisted that we smash a first bite into her kids’ faces, rather than teasing each other. This idea made me wonder. But the trick worked better than I could have imagined. Her younger offspring took the action as a cue for battle! Everyone enjoyed the diversion. Soon, I was wearing cake and frosting all over my suit!
The party represented a warm gathering of family and friends. Beloved souls from the community blended with veterans of Fisher’s Big Wheel, Kresse’s Bi-Rite, Rini-Rego Supermarkets, and Giant Eagle. Chardon Councilperson Mary Bramstedt echoed our mood of goodwill. Chris Hrapko from St. Mary’s ‘Feed My People’ program infused the crowd with honest enthusiasm. As these visitors mingled, Liz and I circled the room, handing out red roses to all the ladies. With emotion, she recounted the story of our budding romance to each table:
"Rodney used to bring a single rose every time we would meet," she explained. "It became our tradition. A statement of simple elegance. We wanted to share that with all of you, today! So, please accept this small gift as an emblem of our love, and thanks to you. Happy Sweetest Day!" I was ecstatic to be her husband.
My nephew appeared as we finished dispensing the flowers. He wore a tie adorned with day-glo guitars. His suit jacket was an outlandish cascade of pink. Black Converse ‘All Stars’ finished the look. "What do you think of my outfit, Uncle Rod?"
I swelled with pride. "Liz wouldn’t let me wear a pair of Chuck Taylor sneakers with my wedding attire. It would’ve been perfect!"
My bride frowned. "You’re such a poo!"
I raised both eyebrows. "Still, that tie would be perfect for Las Vegas…"
Liz made a face. "In Vegas, I’ll bet no one will notice you! It’s a Christmas light show out there, every day!"
I shrugged again. We were scheduled to leave for our honeymoon on Sunday, from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. "Whatever the case, I can’t wait to find out!"

FROM THE GEAUGA COUNTY MAPLE LEAF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home