Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Three-peat



Thompson, Ohio - My computer is my friend. It is amazing to think that I spent most of my life without such an appliance in the household. I live for the opportunity to enjoy a Canadian beverage whilst using my PC in the pursuit of writing excellence.

Nothing from my neighbors tonight. They must be asleep at this late hour. Because I leave work about 1 AM, this is evening to me. I haven't even had dinner, though the outside world is lost in slumber. My quirky schedule means I am out-of-sync with other folk. But I have grown used to this condition. 22 years in the service industry (retail) has warped my psyche.

I've become quite a Phil Hendrie fan. For those who may not be familiar with this twisted fellow, he is a California Disc Jockey, gone talk-show satirist. Hendrie performs voices for all the guests on his Premiere Radio Networks program. He encourages callers to participate by arguing with the 'guests' (all Hendrie himself) on the air. At first, the performance seemed completely asinine. Then, I 'got' the joke. (It is a send-up of the talk show format.) Suddenly, I was hooked. I can't get enough of Hendrie. Check out his website for further explanation. (www.philhendrieshow.com)

Since my divorce (three years ago) I've also become a fan of Jerry Springer. In truth, his show has long been a favorite 'guilty pleasure.' But in these recent years, the violence and sarcasm holds even more meaning. Springer is an intelligent liberal who chose to sell his soul for TV fame. He seems to have the fault of many 'progressive' minds - wielding intelligence without moral grounding. As a Councilman in Cincinnati, he erred with a prostitute. Later, he surrendered the promise of following Phil Donahue by following a tail-spin into ratings success and profitable infamy. Now, he has a serious 'Springer On The Radio' program to offer a difference from the standard Jerrry-Jerrry fare. He is compelling, if also disgusting.

We're enjoying a 'heat wave' here after the first significant snowfall of the season. It is almost 60 degrees F as I write this. Amazing, since we just got 15 inches of snow in Thompson, last week. Locals like to joke that this township (at the Eastern limit of Geauga County) is 'the buckle of the snow belt.' It is a reputation very much deserved.

But... I'm listening to 'Coast To Coast AM' with George Noory. My cheese breadsticks are almost done. Time to close here, for now. Peace! Tune in for more from your humble blogger, in the near future...

Rod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home