Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Episode One


Here we go, my belated entry into cyberspace on a Tuesday morning. It is after 3 AM in Ohio, and I've just finished a two-pound bag of smokies from Trumbull Locker Plant. (Route 534, north of Hartsgrove, OH) A sensible person would've gone to sleep hours ago. But I've got too much to ponder just now... so here's to another Sam Adams 'Black Lager.'

1) Reported in my DAVIE ALLAN fan group (Yahoo) was the sad fact that Link Wray has passed into rock'n roll oblivion. I couldn't help but observe that he can now jam with Jimi Hendrix. He will be missed... what an incredible fellow. I have wanted a Danelectro 'Longhorn' (Guitarlin) for years because of seeing him in vintage photos with this axe. In past years, I was proud that my wedding anniversary was on his birthday, May 2nd. (That fact alone made me feel guilty to get divorced, three years ago.) Davie mentioned to all of us that own his unique 'fuzztone' was partly inspired by Link's raw sound. Wray was punk before punk - grunge before grunge. God bless his memory.

2) I got in a final ride of the season, today. It was 48 degrees F outside. Balmy weather for a ride through the country! We've got snow moving in here before Thanksgiving so I wanted to be fully tattooed with road grime before putting the Hawg away. Can't quite believe that the summer passed so quickly, but we say that every year in Northeastern Ohio. Even with the chill of winter looming, it felt good to eat up some tarmac. My 'Heritage' seemed happy to be out of the barn, once more.

3) Haven't even started anything for the newspaper yet. (I write for The Geauga County Maple Leaf of Chardon.) This is too typical - I get strung out on side projects and lose track of my bread-and-butter work. I'm putting together a proposal for YAMAHA USA (Star Motorcycles) to incorporate the music of Davie Allan. Meanwhile, it's the holiday season, and my full-time job is frantic at the moment. (Retail Management.) So, where are my priorities?? I've had a notion to write about the state of manufacturing in America, since Chevrolet has just announced major job cuts for Ohio. But it is a well-worn subject. The global economy is producing shifts of responsibility and success that we've never encountered before. Even my father and brother (both Republicans) drive Japanese cars. Life isn't as it was fifty years ago.

Okay, I'm a young baby-boomer (mid-40's) so I have to ask... does anyone really read this stuff? Where do you find the time?? While growing up, all I wanted to do was crank up my vinyl albums (or 8-track tapes) and find a hott babe to share the moment. Where does this new world of cyberevolution come from? I wonder... but still, this is the purest form of democracy we've seen in the US for many, many years. Godspeed those who take pen in hand (or computer keyboard) and translate thoughts into text! Write on!!

More as this develops...

Rod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home