Wednesday, December 17, 2008

TEISCO TWANGERS, UNITE!



FOR GENERATIONS OF YOUNG, ASPIRING ROCK 'N' ROLLERS, THE LOWLY TEISCO WAS AN ENTRY-LEVEL TICKET TO THE GREAT MAGIC CARPET RIDE. WHILE AXES FROM FENDER AND GIBSON COST REAL MONEY, THESE OFF-THE-WALL JAPANESE INSTRUMENTS COULD BE HAD FOR A PITTANCE. SOME WERE SLEEK AND STYLISH, WHILE OTHERS WERE POORLY-CONCEIVED AND CLUNKY. BUT THEY CONTINUED A BUDGET-MINDED TRADITION BEGUN BY HARMONY, KAY, AND SUPRO.

BEHOLD - THE WORLD OF TESICO!

Welcome to the unofficial home of vintage Teisco guitars!

http://www.mark-cole.co.uk/teisco/index.htm


My first Teisco is still entombed in it's fiberboard case, in the back of a closet somewhere. Over the course of time, I had to replace the tuning machine assembly (a one-piece affair) and rewire the innards.

Years after getting better guitars, I began to read about many other musicians that had crossed paths with the infamous Tye-sko. It made me smile to think that other lives had been touched by this Asian manufacturer of quirky relics.

Ask yourself this simple question:
HAS THERE BEEN A TEISCO IN YOUR LIFE?

If so, you too have been touched by greatness.

6 Comments:

Blogger Guitar Hunter said...

I've got some cool Teisco's over on my blog and some more to come. Check them out.

The Guitar Hunter

guitarhunter.blogspot.com

6:28 PM  
Blogger Rod Ice said...

Hey Guitar Hunter - Cool blog you've got there. I love the vintage Kay! Thanks for reading!

11:47 PM  
Blogger KIMOZ said...

I am bogged down with several restoration projects. All are TIESCO AXES and all are missing their badges...I am looking for the Round Silver Logo, The Gold Crown Badge and The Multi-Color Tiesco Del Rey Badge..Any floating around for sale...or to loan to make new copies...KIMOZ

4:09 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I had my first electric, a Teisco in 1965. I loved it..just posted my only photo of me at age 12 twanging away trying to learn Beatles, Stones, and surf songs on facebook under michael f mccartney..not that good a photo, but some warm memories...parted with the guitar regretably in 1967,,,

9:22 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Just posted a pic on my facebook with my first electric guitar, a teisco, playing thru a kay amp, aged 12..loved that guitar. Started a life long passion for guitar music. Pic is from '65, parted with guitar in '67.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Mick712 said: My lifelong love for electric,(and acoustic), guitars started with my first three guitars; a 3/4 size Harmony acoustic, a Teisco Del Rey w/ Kay amp, and a Orpheus 12 String..Will never forget them though all three parted from me in '67. Pic from '65 is in album, facebook, michael f. mccartney, with my Teisco...

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home