Saturday, August 11, 2007

“Ballpark Interlude”




c. 2007 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(7-07)



Note to Readers: The best thing about writing for a living is being able to work and have fun at the same time. When these moments can involve others from the family, they become authentically special in nature. What follows here is my description of such an event, from last week.
The afternoon hours brought an undeniable craving for coffee, as I sat in front of my office computer. I was determined to get through a long list of documents that needed to be edited and organized for future use. But each minute weighed more heavily on my consciousness. I was equally distracted by incoming e-mail communication. My only point of focus was a fresh cup of java…
Suddenly, the phone rang in my pocket. I noted that the caller was my wife. “Hello?” I
said.
Liz purred in my ear. “How are youuuuuu, Honey?”
“Great,” I replied. “Your timing is perfect. A message just came here about an event at Classic Park in Eastlake.”
She brightened. “Hmmmm, does that mean we get to see a Captains game?”
“Not exactly,” I explained. “They are hosting a special event with three rock bands. The trio is visiting Minor League Baseball parks across America. It is called ‘The Triple Play Tour.’ Doesn’t that sound great?”
She paused to catch her breath. “Well, yes! That’s different.”
I agreed. “It should make for a couple of interesting stories.”
“Who is playing on the tour?” she wondered.
“The Counting Crows, with Collective Soul, and Live,” I answered. “All groups that I remember hearing on ‘The End, 107.9 FM.”
“Not to mention lots of other stations,” she added.
“Did you know that there is a website dedicated to ‘The End’ on the Internet?” I said, quizzically.
Liz giggled. “Uhm, no! I listened to country stations in the area.”
“It’s at www.1079.com,” I said. “They still come to mind whenever I see Vic Gideon on WKYC Channel 3.”
“Who?” she said.
“Never mind, Princess Pink,” I said. “It’s a ‘90s thing.”
My wife sighed. “Well anyway, I’m always up for a concert. Lets go!”
A review began to form in my head as we watched the show:
Triple Play Tour brings live music to Classic Park in a family setting
EASTLAKE - Residents in Northeastern Ohio know Classic Park as the home of Lake County Captains baseball. But recently, it became something more. The swinging sticks were replaced by electric guitars and melodic rhythms. It was an event embraced by fans and families from across the region. Collective Soul, Live, and The Counting Crows reintroduced their music to an enthusiastic audience that spanned generations. Many appeared to have come of age listening to the trio of bands - who first gained national prominence during the 90’s groundswell of ‘Alternative Rock.’ Others were more faithful in appearance to the older traditions of ‘Classic’ Rock ‘n’ Roll. But everyone connected with a communal spirit that flowed from the stage. There was undeniably something in the ballpark atmosphere.
Collective Soul appeared first, looking much as they had over a dozen years before. Ed Roland was animated and energetic. The group rendered memorable compositions like ‘Jamming On’ and ‘Shine’ with much conviction. ‘Gel’ evoked pleasant memories. ‘The World I Know’ and ‘Listen’ retained meaning. ‘December’ still sounded fresh, even in a 21st Century context. Dean Roland bent the signature guitar riff forcefully.
Teasing the spectators, the group previewed ‘Hollywood’ which will be on an upcoming release titled ‘Afterwords.’ It is slated to appear on August 28th. Live continued the post-modern, rock revival by breathing new energy into their familiar work. They offered ‘Selling the Drama’ and ‘I Alone’ as Ed Kowalczyk worked himself into an elegant frenzy. He gestured widely with each lyric, as if embracing the audience. ‘Lightning Crashes’ followed. Then, ‘All over You.’ Chad Taylor holstered four different guitars during the performance. For ‘Lakini’s Juice’ he used a seafoam blue-green, Fender Jazzmaster. It growled the notes he fretted like a harnessed canine, spitting through clenched teeth. Powerfully, the band played ‘I walk the Line’ in a style different from, yet reverent to, Johnny Cash. Bic lighters began to shine.
The moment of artistic fullness had arrived. Overhead, a covering of thick clouds reflected the stage lighting, but held their rain. The Counting Crows appeared, and immediately struck a reflective tone. Their songs meandered from the radio hit ‘Mr. Jones’ to more involved compositions. They offered ‘St. Robinson’s Cadillac Dream’ and ‘Accidentally In Love.’ Frontman Adam Duritz tiptoed over monitor speakers at the platform’s edge. He tossed lyrical observations like a Beat-era poet. Accompanied by the band, he seemed to have a stream-of-consciousness conversation with the crowd.
A peek into the future came from playing material to be included on Saturday Night/Sunday Morning, an upcoming release that would be their first in several years.
“I was taking a sabbatical,” Duritz said with a grin. “We haven’t made a
record in awhile. But we’ll be around now.”
The audience responded loudly. But the Crows were far from finished.
At the piano, Duritz played ‘Long December.’ It demonstrated the durability
of the Crows’ passionate sound. Eventually, the ensemble did ‘Mrs. Potter’s
Lullaby’ along with ‘Anna Begins.’
Throughout the show, a variety of instruments provided melodic reinforcement, including accordion, mandolin, acoustic guitar, standup bass, keyboards, and banjo.
Evoking the subtlety of yonder days, they played ‘Pale Blue Eyes’ which was written by the Velvet Underground. Duritz morphed the tune with touches of scat-singing and vocal play. Eventually, the interpretative experiment concluded in a wash of tonal flavors. They hung in the evening air sweetly, forming invisible droplets of ear-candy.
Late in the show, a young guitarist named Michael joined the group onstage. He traded licks with David Immergluck, Dan Vickery, and David Bryson. It was an expressive, emotional point for the crowd.
In closing, Adam Duritz took the microphone to give thanks for those who came. Then, he turned more serious. “We’re very, very lucky to live in a country like America, where we decide for ourselves how to run our own country. We’re very, very lucky that about two-hundred-and-thirty years ago, a group of very, very intelligent and original-thinking men decided to change the world.”
Listeners grew silent as he continued. “I don’t care if you’re a Republican, Democrat, or Independent. It doesn’t matter to me. But if you’re a patriot, if you really want to be an American, the thing you have to do is go out and vote. Because other than laying your life down for your country, there is nothing that stands for that flag greater than exercising your right of franchise. Because you have it - and a lot of people around the world don’t.”
Over cheering and applause, he finished with a promise. “Some people forget that there’s a lot of America between New York and Los Angeles. But we won’t forget!”
At Classic Park, it was clear that no one had forgotten how to enjoy authentic Rock ‘n’ Roll.
Liz and I both took photographs at the event. Her work was impressive for being jostled around amongst the crowded spectators. I took shots from a ‘pit’ area, just in front of the stage. Adam Duritz of the Crows nearly fell on top of me, as he tiptoed over monitor speakers while singing. Each band displayed energy and talent that had not diminished over time. My review was easy to write.
Days later, my wife remembered seeing an ad for Gretchen Wilson with Tracy Byrd, the PovertyNeck Hillbillies, and Cleveland favorites, Lawless. Soon afterward, my cell phone rang as I was working on a column about extreme sports.
“Rodney,” Liz said enthusiastically. “I think you can hit another home run from Classic Park! They’re having a country extravaganza with some of my favorite groups!”
I laughed out loud. “Sorry hon. I’ve got to report on a turtle race that night.”
“Hey, you didn’t even ask when it was!” she bristled.
“It’s a slow race,” I said. “The event could take days to cover…”
She howled like a cat. “You’re still such a poo!”
FROM THE GEAUGA COUNTY MAPLE LEAF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home