Saturday, April 22, 2006

THOUGHTS AT LARGE April 20, 2006


"Pasta Toss"
c. 2006 Rod Ice
All rights reserved
(4-06)



"Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I'll give you a man who will make history. Give me a man with no goals and I'll give you a stock clerk."
-- J. C. Penney, Retail Entrepreneur


A Confession: As stated here before, I often hate my mailbox. It is an unfriendly void that seems to channel only rejections, postal junk, solicitations, and bills. Smiles via the space are few. (Much of what I receive goes directly into our trash bin.) Still, the chance remains for something better to appear. Like those who pan for gold in a mountain stream, I continue to check the metal chute, and pray! My need to hope always overcomes any fear of failure.
The recent arrival of recorded music with personal mail brought a reason to celebrate for this writer. Few things are so satisfying as a selection of new recordings for the household library. They offer listening pleasure, and more - each disc yields a chance to engage in passionate wordsmithing by writing a personal review.

My first reaction was to use these comments as part of a newspaper column. While still playing the discs, I began to compose thoughts about each collection:

DAVIE ALLAN AND THE ARROWS / THE WILD ANGELS (CURB, D2-77866) – This compact disc contains material from both vinyl volumes of the original movie soundtrack. Provided is a rowdy, audio voyage back to 1965. Because most Americans became acquainted with the music of Davie Allan through this classic cycle film, it is indispensable for any Arrows collector. The work is joyous, expressive, and FUZZIRIFIC! Over forty years later, the seminal track ‘Blues Theme’ remains a benchmark for instrumental guitar. Favorite works like ‘Midnight Rider’ and ‘Rockin’ Angel’ broaden the mix. Viewed from a current perspective, the CD is a mission statement for what would transpire as King Fuzz matured into an icon of rock ‘n’ roll.

RHINO BUCKET / AND THEN IT GOT UGLY (ACETATE, ATE 7021)
When listeners first enter the Rhino Realm, most will observe that this bunch from California sound like the lost kin of AC/DC. The powerchord phrasing, strangled vocals, and throbbing backbeat are all reminiscent of Australia’s most famous musical export. Yet classing them as a sound-alike band is nearly insulting. The Rhinos display an artistic identity that is familiar, but unique. Promotional hype that touts this group as being "The Last Real Rock ‘n’ Roll Band" is not so exaggerated as you might believe. An aural blast of ‘She Rides’ or ‘Blood, Sweat & Beers’ will remove any doubt. The members of RB display a level of authenticity that is rare in modern popular music. For those about to rock… we salute you!

The Rhino Bucket tracks were particularly satisfying because their older work is out of print, and expensive to procure. It was a moment of enlightenment about this elusive band. I wrote a brief message to the herd in reference to their new CD, via a page on MYSPACE. "Rockin' Rhinos - Thanks for the bulletins & message. Love your work… I pre-ordered your disc… I write for a local paper in the Cleveland (Ohio) area. I'll try to give it some ink. Horns up!"
Listening to Davie Allan’s vintage tracks rendered in digital stereo was another revelation. I felt compelled to take command of my mailbox, and continue the cause of promoting Davie’s artistry to the greater public. (The ICE strategy for success has always been to try everything, and see what works!) This mood of inspiration soon produced a letter to my favorite company in Wisconsin…

From: R. Ice, Thompson, Ohio
To: Willie G. Davidson
HARLEY-DAVIDSON, Inc.
3700 West Juneau Avenue
P. O. Box 653
Milwaukee, WI 53208

Dear Willie G.,
I am a journalist in the Cleveland (Ohio) area. Also, I am a lifelong fan of all things Harley. (Currently, I ride a 2001 Heritage Softail.)
For the past several years, I have enjoyed a long-distance friendship with DAVIE ALLAN, the legendary outlaw guitarist. Davie is beloved by the performing community because of his overdriven tonal palette, and gutsy axemanship. In addition, he is a heroic figure to those (like myself) who grew up on the hearty stew of American biker culture. Stated simply, no other single artist so completely embodies the artistic forces of rebellion, and rock ‘n’ roll. DA’s ‘street credibility’ is undeniable.

Because of his unique position as a living part of motorcycle history, it seems that a connection between Davie and your beloved company would be purely logical. With this in mind, I urge you to consider the promotional value of such a living icon as a partner for Harley-Davidson. Certainly, he would be a valuable asset if featured in H-D advertising, catalogs, and literature. For example: Imagine the fuzzed-out intensity of ‘Blues Theme’ (his most popular tune, from ‘The Wild Angels’) playing behind a rollout of new company models. The effect could be truly stunning. Or: DA’s image being used to highlight your catalogs of official riding attire. Again, it would be potent and effective.

I invite you to contact Davie Allan directly. Information about his incredible career can be found on the Internet at www.davieallan.com. In addition, my own feature about his work is posted in the ‘stories’ section at www. bikernet.com, a website run by former Easyriders editor K. Randall Ball.

My sincere thanks for your attention in this matter!
Regards, RDI

I was eager to share the note with Davie, himself, and sent a copy immediately. "Hope I didn't overstep my bounds... I reckoned this would be cool with you. I sent a letter & photos to Willie G. at Harley-Davidson. A few years ago, I wrote him regarding a potential 'Sportster' model and he graciously answered my thought with a hand-signed note. Anyway... I keep thinking: ‘What can I do to help DA?’ Fuzz On!"

His response was delivered with a typical dose of good humor. "Wow Rod! What a knock me out letter! Someone said ‘if you throw enough spaghetti (or whatever substance you choose) at a wall, some of it will stick!!!’ Thank you!!!"

My day ended with a visit to the Beachland Ballroom web page. (The venue is located at 15711 Waterloo Road, Cleveland.) I began to read through their concert schedule, carefully. Rhino Bucket had an appearance slated for May 3rd. My imagination began to percolate, again… ideas were loosed by the sound of Georg Dolivo shouting over a barrage of guitars… WHAT COULD I TRY NEXT??

FROM THE GEAUGA COUNTY MAPLE LEAF, CHARDON, OHIO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home