Friday, June 05, 2009

ERIC MANSFIELD, WKYC-3



Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting WKYC-3 News Anchor Eric Mansfield, in Concord Township. He was working on a story depicting local residents facing bankruptcy, and I volunteered to chat about this difficult subject.

I was particularly excited to connect with him because it was his report on Paul Hickman of 'Guitars for Grunts' that motivated us to create the 'Thoughts for Our Soldiers' project. (Cooperating with the Thompson United Methodist Church, we sent copies of my 'Thoughts At Large' collection to military personnel stationed overseas. Each book carried handwritten messages from local residents.)

After our conversation, I offered Eric a copy of my third book, 'Popcorn Season.' (This publication follows the Ashtabula County Special Olympics softball team throughout their 2007 campaign.) He seemed to be intrigued as I explained how Eunice Kennedy Shriver founded the Special Olympics games in 1968.

It was an encounter I will remember forever, particularly because my wife is a devoted follower of Channel 3 and NBC television.

Thanks, Eric. Best wishes to you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home